"Todos dizem ser forte o rio que tudo arrasta. Ninguém diz serem fortes, as margens que o comprimem"

terça-feira, 5 de março de 2013

Actor Diogo Morgado talks about portraying Jesus in the series The Bible





On Sunday, March 3, The Bible debuts on The History Channel. Produced by Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel) and her husband, Mark Burnett (producer of Survivor, The Voice, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader and Shark Tank), this epic 10-hour, series will appear on five consecutive Sundays.

Filmed in the desert of Morocco over a period of three years, the series comprises vignettes of biblical stories beginning with Genesis and continuing through Revelation. Stories include Adam and Eve, Noah’s Ark, Abraham, The Parting of the Red Sea, The Ten Commandments, Samson and Delilah, Daniel and the Lion’s Den, the Birth of Jesus, John the Baptist, the Temptation in the Desert, Feeding the Multitude, Peter Walking on the Water, the Trial of Jesus, and the Conversion of Paul.

Popular Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado portrays Jesus Christ in the series. He recently spoke about being the central character in a project he feels is going to touch with world.
Paula K. Parker: Jesus is not a typical role for an actor; how did you prepare?
Diogo Morgado: I did not face this as a character; I think that’s the main thing. Jesus is definitely not a character for millions of people. There is no actor who can face it as a character.
For me, I grew up in Portugal, which is a very religious country. Knowing the Bible. Knowing Jesus Christ and living by that. Having the opportunity to tell and share and touch people’s hearts with the most wonderful story every; I think it’s something to be grateful for and I am.
My first approach was to go to the Bible. I started reading the Bible and reading everything that I could and seeing all the biblical projects that have been made.
Then I stopped; because I realized that there is no acting school or acting skill that could help me with this task of portraying Jesus Christ. It’s more about your energy and your spirit than it is something you can rationalize about. For me, it was a journey; it was something unique.
PKP: What was the hardest moment?
Morgado: Obviously, there were a lot of moments of suffering. Seeing Mother Mary suffering with what was happening to her son is something I will keep as a memory of that experience.
Being alone on that cross was another one. There was a moment when all my life flashed right in front of my eyes; to think that everything I’ve done was leading to that moment. That’s really overwhelming. I felt alone and, at the same time, I felt connected with the world; I felt that I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.
To think that, even a fraction of what I was experiencing, had really happened to Jesus. For me, it was life-changing.
PKP: Where there enjoyable moments?
Morgado: Sure. You will see that this project has a different perspective and approach of what we already know of the story. I think it’s going to surprise people that this Jesus not only cares and touches people, but he has fun and laughs. That is not something I am used to seeing on biblical projects.
It was thrilling; it was happy and fun to hang around with the twelve disciples. To have this feeling that we’re doing something that is going to touch the world and give people hope.
PKP: Do you have any last words?
Morgado: I hope people will share this experience and not look at it as just another series. We’re talking about the most important book of mankind, one that shaped the world as we know it. I would love to see people joining as a family and sharing this project and this wonderful story. Because it’s ultimately about love and family.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...